Hero rescues toddler from Maryland bay after car crash

Jonathan Bauer said he was driving with his daughter over an Ocean City bridge shortly before he saw a 2-year-old girl in the water below.

The man who rescued a toddler from drowning in a Maryland bay spoke to the public for the first time Friday.

On Sunday, emergency crews responded to a five-vehicle crash on the Route 90 bridge over Assawoman Bay in Ocean City. Authorities said the crash caused a two-year-old girl in a car seat to eject from a pickup truck into the water below.

Shortly after, a man quickly jumped into the bay to save the girl. Police said more Good Samaritans then arrived to pull them out of the water.

The girl is expected to make a full recovery. Officials say she was released from a local hospital Monday night.

On Friday, Ocean City officials identified the man who rescued the girl as Jonathan Bauer during a press conference at an Ocean City fire department station.

Bauer met numerous emergency officials who helped in the rescue of the girl. Ocean City Mayor Rick Meehan and Ocean City Fire Chief Richie Bowers also attended Bauer’s speaking engagement at the station.

Bauer said he was driving on the bridge with his daughter after a day of working on their boat when he suddenly heard a sound in front of him.

“The first thing I remember was hearing cars screech,” he said.

Bauer said a car then collided with his vehicle. He said after he got out of his car to check on his daughter, he then saw a person trying to get out of a truck that was teetering over the edge of the bridge.

“We heard yelling up ahead and it was where the truck was on the railing,” he said.

Bauer said a person then got out of the truck and pointed to the water below.

“He didn’t really say anything to me,” Bauer said. “He just pointed down to the water and when I looked over, I saw the car seat, some other items, and then about 6 feet from the car seat was the little girl. She was on her back.”

The girl’s head was out of the water, at first, according to Bauer. But, then, she flipped over in her car seat.

Bauer said it was that moment he knew he had to act.

He told his daughter to grab the first firefighter or police officer she would see in the area.

“And, then, [I] pushed off,” Bauer said.

He swam to the girl and immediately started to pat her back to make her spit up water. Bauer said a few moments later he then saw police on the bridge.

At that moment, he said he breathed a sigh of relief.

“The whole reason we came down [to the station] was to thank you guys for what you did that day,” Bauer said. “Staying with my daughter, taking the little girl from my arms.”

The Oertel family then came by on a pontoon boat to take Bauer and the girl out of the water.

“I'm really surprised that he was not injured,” Joe Oertel told WUSA9 earlier in the week. “It's only about four to five feet deep right along where he where the accident was and where he had to jump in.”

Chief Bowers pointed out how humble Bauer is despite his actions over the weekend.

“This is a tough day for Jonathan, probably tougher than the day he jumped over the bridge,” Bowers said. “Simply because this is not his comfort zone.”

But Bowers also pointed out that emergency crews, including local police, firefighters, and paramedics helped in the effort too.

“This is a team effort, not one person,” he said. “But a team was successful on that day.”

Officials say eight people were injured in the incident. Ultimately, no one died.

“This is a day of thank yous,” Meehan said. “This was a real tragic accident that occurred on the Route 90 bridge and the good news is that everyone is okay.”

Cat Missing for 10 Days Saved from the Bottom of a Well After Dog Hears Her Cries

A missing cat named Flea was rescued by firefighters in the U.K. after a dog heard the feline meowing inside a well and helped sound the alarm.

Boy, 4, accidentally buys $2.6K worth of SpongeBob Popsicles on Amazon

Thats one way to freeze a bank account: A 4-year-old cartoon fanatic from NYC went a little overboard buying nonrefundable frozen treats.

Hunger rates plummet after two rounds of stimulus

Republicans have long sought to shrink government aid, but Democrats see the data as proof that the direct payments are working as intended.

People Donate Rs 16 Crore For Mumbai Child Who Needed Most Expensive Drug

Paying Rs 16 crore for one injection may seem like an impossible task for most people but that is exactly what the parents of a five-month-old boy in Mumbai have managed to do.

U.S. Senators Reintroduce The AFTER Act; A Bill To Ensure That Retired U.S. Government Lab Animals Find Forever Homes

Last week, United States Senators Susan Collins of Maine and Gary Peters of Michigan reintroduced the Animal Freedom from Testing, Experimentation, and Research (AFTER) Act. The bipartisan legislation would ensure that every federal agency that uses animals for research has policies in place to facilitate the relocation of retired, healthy lab animals to private homes, animal rescues, or reputable sanctuaries.

White Coat Waste Project, a taxpayer watchdog group that has secured lab animal retirement policies at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) in recent years, applauds Senators Peters and Collins for “introducing the AFTER Act to ensure that healthy animals in all federal labs get a second chance when experiments end.” As per the organization, the AFTER Act would extend these policies across all federal agencies, “an effort supported by 68% of taxpayers.”

“There is no reason regulated lab animals that are suitable for adoption or retirement should be killed by federal agencies,” Senator Collins said in a statement. “Our bipartisan legislation would continue to build on the successful policies at the DOD, VA, FDA, and NIH while directing all other federal agencies to facilitate and encourage the retirement of animals to help ensure they are placed in loving homes or sanctuaries.”

The AFTER Act provides flexibility for each agency to devise its own policy, with the goal of ensuring that such animals, whenever possible, are retired and not killed. The legislation also requires that animals be evaluated by a licensed veterinarian and pronounced both mentally and physically healthy before leaving an agency, helping to ensure a smooth transition to a new environment. Finally, the bill encourages federal agencies to work with non-profit organizations to help place retired animals in sanctuaries and shelters across the country, not just those closest to the research facility.
In fiscal year 2019, the federal government experimented on approximately 38,000 animals, mainly cats, dogs, monkeys, and rabbits, for research purposes. Currently, since federal agencies do not have formal retirement or adoption policies on animals that are no longer needed in research, many of them are killed. Recent peer-reviewed studies indicate that research animals that are adopted, however, often thrive in their new environments.

“Ensuring that animals no longer used in federal research can be adopted into loving homes is simply the right thing to do,” stated Senator Peters. “I am proud to partner with Senator Collins to reintroduce this bipartisan legislation that would encourage federal agencies to collaborate with the shelters that can provide these animals a safe, nurturing environment for the next phase of their lives.”

In 2013, Senator Collins helped spearhead an effort to allow for the retirement of hundreds of primates that were formerly used in NIH experiments.

The legislation is supported by the Maine Federation of Humane Societies and White Coat Waste Project.
Shockingly, An estimated 100 million animals– including: dogs, cats, rats, mice, fish, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, monkeys, and birds are killed in U.S. laboratories for experimentation and animal testing each year.
WAN and Peace 4 Animals sees a future where the archaic outdated model of animal testing will be a thing of the past.

UBC to build $23-million solar farm and hydrogen fuel station

Construction has commenced on a city block-sized green energy hub next to Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre at the University of British Columbia.

Unaware She Was Pregnant, Lucky Woman is on Same Flight As NeoNatal Crew When She Gives Birth

Some planes land late and others make it to the gate on time, but a recent flight from Salt Lake City to Honolulu is giving a whole new meaning to the term “early arrival.”

When the plane took off, Lavinia “Lavi” Mounga was headed for a family vacation, but unbeknownst to even herself, that family was about to get one bouncing baby boy bigger.

The soon-to-be mom had no idea she was already 29 weeks along. “I just didn’t know I was pregnant, and then Raymond (the baby) just came out of nowhere,” Mounga said.

Halfway through the fateful trip, the crew had to make an announcement seeking out medical personnel to help with the emergency.

Serendipitously, the passenger manifest included not only Hawaii Pacific Health physician Dr. Dale Glenn, but a trio of neonatal nurses, Lani Bamfield, Amanda Beeding, and Mimi Ho, who all work at Missouri’s North Kansas City Hospital.

Without proper neonatal equipment, Dr. Glenn and the nurses had to come up with some creative solutions to keep baby Raymond stable for the remainder of the three-hour flight.

Thanks to a mixture of wilderness training and ingenuity involving shoelaces, microwaved warming bottles, and an Apple Watch heart monitor, the newborn made it to Hawaii in good form.

“I don’t know how a patient gets so lucky as to have three neonatal intensive care nurses onboard the same flight when she is in emergency labor, but that was the situation we were in,” Dr. Glenn relayed in a hospital statement. “The great thing about this was the teamwork. Everybody jumped in together and everyone helped out.”

Passenger Julia Hansen captured the blessed event for posterity with a TikTok video that includes a rousing round of applause for mom, baby, and her medical guardian angels, and has been seen more than 15 million times by viewers around the world.

When the plane touched down it was met on the tarmac by a medical response who whisked mother and son to Kapiolani Medical Center for Women and Children.

As a premie, Raymond was placed in their neonatal intensive care unit where it’s reported he’s doing just fine.

Since his birth was unexpected, in lieu of a baby shower, Mounga’s sisters have set up a GoFundMe campaign to help with the expenses of their nephew’s unticketed entrance into the world.